Thursday, August 2, 2007

Blink and you miss it

This is the fastest quilt I have ever made. I received the invitation to my
cousin's daughter's wedding shower on June 22. The shower was July 29. I
knew I wanted to make her a quilt for her wedding but decided that I wanted
to give it to her at her shower. Could I do this? Could I make her a
twin/large-lap size quilt in 5 weeks (one of which we were at the beach)?
I hadn't even decided what pattern to use. I did know from her mother that her
house was earth tones (Not quite my style)

So, our guild was having a trash to treasure sale on June 27 and I bought
a pack of 200-5" squares in earth tones for--ta da--$1!!!! That made my
decision for me. I am the guild librarian and have over 200 books in a corner
of my sewing room so I got out both Nickel quilts books by Pat Speth and
Charlene Thode and Open a Can of Worms by Debbie Caffrey. I decided
on this pattern from Open a Can of Worms.

I needed, I think, 360 5" squares so to my stash I went. Now when I say
that a certain color scheme is not my style, that doesn't mean that I don't
have those colors in my stash! I got the top done in two weeks. I even took
it to the beach to start the machine quilting (in case it rained--it didn't)
but didn't touch it. I had one week left to quilt it and went on a marathon
that whole week. I quilted when I got home from work every night
(except Wednesday of course -- that's guild/bee night) I finished the
quilting on Friday night and it took me all day Saturday to bind it.
It is 68" by 84". I sewed the label on on Sunday morning then left at noon
for the shower.

Whew!!
Done!!

Until next time...
Susie

1 comment:

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh it is wonderful! I"m so glad you left a comment so I could come visit!