Monday, June 25, 2012

Second fastest quilt

This summer I have two deadlines...two baby quilts . The two babies (two different moms...more cousins!) are due the beginning of October so I figured I had a few weeks. I found out the beginning of June that Jill's shower will be July 8th!!!! Good grief that only gives me a month. Can I do it? Should I just give her the top and quilt it later? I decided to go for it.

I went to the Annapolis Quilt show on June 9 and bought the fabric. It is Karma Baby by Northcott. She's having a boy so I chose the blues. I knew I wanted to make her the alphabet pattern from Fat Quarter Fonts by Atkinson Design because I made her an alphabet quilt when she was born in 1978. It was my first quilt ever and I shudder to think of what it looked like and how I made it. I was a garment sewer and didn't consider myself an official quilter until 1999 but I had made a few baby quilts before that.

I got the fabric washed that weekend and scanned it into my computer. Then I played with the combinations and while I am not 100% satisfied with this version, I decided to stop playing in the interest of time. Last weekend I got them all cut out and all last week I fused them and started machine blanket stitching them. I finished the top (including the borders but didn't take a picture) Friday night. Basted it Saturday and started quilting. I am about half way done the quilting so I think I will make it. I think the longest part of the process is in the designing. Whew. Oh and the first fastest quilt was here.

I'll show a photo later with the borders on and this baby will be DONE!

Happy sewing
Susie

13 comments:

Mary said...

These must be Fused and that makes them fast. Very cute and fitting for the baby, too. Have fun finishing it.

Betty Lou said...

Great quilt---one the baby won't outgrow too soon. Happy quilting!

Teresa said...

I love it, not something that will be packed away as the baby grows. I can see them enjoying it through the start of school.

Denise :) said...

Hey! This is a really cute quilt! I like the way the letters are stacked. I noted you are from Bowie! I grew up in Severna Park (outside of Annapolis) and remembering going to work with my dad from time to time in DC. He caught the train in Odenton, and I've got fond memories of the conductor saying, "Next stop, Bow-Wee!" Us girls would always giggle -- we thought he didn't know how to say it properly! :)

Mina said...

That is really cute:)

AnnieO said...

Darling! Love the font changes and colors. It's sure to be a very popular gift!

marcella said...

Really cute baby quilt! good luck with the deadline.

Margaret said...

this is really cute!!!!

Melinda said...

Love the alphabet quilt - it isn't just a baby quilt but will be a treasure.

Quilter Kathy said...

Very cool baby quilt...very modern!

kwiltnkats said...

Susie, love your boy quilt. It's always a hunt for a good masculine design. I love the blanket stitch. Have you ever tried a variegated thread? Comes out pretty neat...but try it on another project that provides a bit more time =^.^= You sure sped through this one! Sandi

Unknown said...

Susie it looks even better finished. You do such wonderful work.

Bonnie said...

Both fast quilts are great. I'll have to look up the pattern in Debby's book... although I may have the other one. Great job and aren't you proud of yourself?